Jubilee! is a community of faith; our vision is of a vital, involved, committed and loving group of people interacting dynamically and compassionately with each other, the world, and ourselves, as God leads us. We honor all religions and all people.
At our Sunday Celebrations we express our faith and Creation Spirituality through music (led by the dynamic World Beat Band, the Jubilee! Singers and guest performers), dance, poetry, evocative messages and fellowship at our spiritual home on Wall Street in downtown Asheville, NC. (We have been meeting by Zoom since March 2020, and will continue to do so for the time being.)
More than just a non-denominational church, we express our faith by sharing ourselves and our resources with other people and organizations serving our fellow humans, other living entities, and the earth itself.
KEEPING THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING — JUBILEE COMMUNITY VALUES
Jubilee! believes in keeping the main thing the main thing. We:
- Celebrate community and diversity, Creation Spirituality, Original Blessing (instead of original sin), all of creation, and the four-fold path (or Four Vias)
- Honor each of us as we are, the inner and outer journey that each of us is on, and honesty, integrity, connection, compassion, service, social justice and authenticity
- Teach love and respect for all living things, including ourselves, acceptance of the wisdom of all religious traditions, spiritualities and indigenous cultures, compassion through open-heartedness, forgiveness, outreach giving and personal service, that we are all sons and daughters of God, and that God continually calls us to be who we are really meant to be
- Rejoice in and express creativity by how we worship and celebrate together, relate to the universe as an interconnected whole, connect with and mentor our youth, comprehend and draw on the wisdom of our elders, accept change as part of living, acknowledge our fallibility and our limitations, and take ourselves lightly
Jubilee! is all kinds of people finding and following God’s call to life. These affirmations are simply a way of establishing our place in the continuum of the history and mystery of our faith. There is much more to Jubilee! than these affirmations. These are starting points. We trust that God will lead us from here. We affirm that:
- All creation reveals and expresses God
- Diversity of faith enriches our community
- We love and respect all living things – including ourselves
- We are called to love with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength
- We are originally blessed by the Creator and are called to co-create blessing in this world
- We accept the wisdom and teachings of all religious traditions
- God continually calls us to be who we are created to be
- We live lives of compassion, forgiveness and justice
- We accept and follow teachings and examples of Jesus
- There is wisdom in the Hebrew/Christian scriptures
- We practice outreach giving and personal service as spiritual disciplines
- We accept that living faith must grow and change
THE FOUR VIAS
The Four Vias are the four paths of Creation Spirituality we travel here at Jubilee!. We focus on the beauty, mystery, and cosmological spirituality of creation. We draw on the many ancient traditions that predate the more modern concept of “Original Sin” and its many guilt-infused manifestations. With each new season, Jubilee! celebrates one of The Four Vias. These paths take us on journeys of meditation, love, social justice and learning that resonate with us and truly fill us up.
Via Transformativa (Spring)
This is the time of natural resurrection, new life springing forth from the Earth and from within us as well.
Via Positiva (Summer)
During these months, we discover beauty and awe in each other, in ourselves, and in the fascinating world around us.
Via Negativa (Fall)
This, too, is a period of celebration as we contemplate the mysteries that surround us, from the black holes of the universe to the nature of our own souls.
Via Creativa (Winter)
From the apparent dormancy of the winter months, we are called to explore the imagination and creativity that underlie all of creation at every moment.